American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Made or consisting of wood.
- adj. Stiff and unnatural; without spirit: a wooden performance; a wooden smile.
- adj. Clumsy and awkward; ungainly.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Made of wood; consisting of wood.
- Stiff; ungainly; clumsy; awkward; spirit less; expressionless: as, a wooden stare.
- Dull; stupid, as if with no more sensation than wood.
- Of the woods; sylvan.
- An instrument of military punishment consisting of a beam or timber, sometimes set with sharp points, upon which the culprit was compelled to sit astride, having in some instances weights tied to his feet.
- See spoon.
- =Syn.1. See leaden.
- adj. Made of wood: "a wooden boat".
- adj. As if made of wood (figuratively):
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Made or consisting of wood; pertaining to, or resembling, wood.
- adj. Clumsy; awkward; ungainly; stiff; spiritless.
- adj. lacking ease or grace
- adj. made or consisting of (entirely or in part) or employing wood
- From wood + -en. (Wiktionary)
“Time has also dealt leniently with the picture, for it is as clear and bright as the day it was painted, and is carefully preserved in its original frame, into which a sliding wooden panel is made to fit and cover it: the outside being emblazoned with the _armes parlantes_ of the family of Holzschuher -- a _wooden shoe_, raised from the ground in the manner of the Venetian _chopine_.”
“In Full Moon, Mam is desperate to be an actress but gives an entirely new meaning to the word "wooden" - and the fact my late mother wanted desperately to act, and enjoyed amateur dramatics until she got too old to remember her lines, bless her, is equally beside the point.”
“I don't have a peel yet that's what you call the wooden thing, but I just rolled out the dough on a well-floured thin plastic mat that you use for rolling out pie dough, etc..”
“Morning sessions were followed by huge lunches in wooden huts perched on the shoulders of the mountains – restaurants such as Sigmund's (Gasthof Schwaiger) and Gasthof Tiroler.”
“Once it's distilled, it's aged in wooden barrels -- both new barrels and used ones that have contained everything from sherry to bourbon -- which affects the color and flavor of the finished product.”
“The torment he feels over this contradiction eats at him as people he could have easily saved at his high tech hospital die on his plain wooden table, but it becomes so much worse when the Amish girl he has come to love falls gravely ill.”
“No matter what grade classroom you teach in, having literacy based designs in wooden classroom furniture can help enhance …”
“We were taken to a wooded area on a long bumpy dirt road, placed in wooden cages with wooden bars.”
“Besides this, the tubs are available in wooden finish.”
“A plain wooden table, surrounded by obviously homemade chairs was framed by a stone fireplace with a small fire in it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘wooden’.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
or Yet Another Thing I Learned from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
These are adjectives formed (in Old or Middle English) by adding the suffix -en to a noun representing (in all...
verb: to cause, to become
plural; cause to be; cause to have; made of; female; diminutive
Very basic words for ESL students.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Apparatus and methods of being not very naice at all.
words often used or misused by my hillbilly and redneck friends...
Fishing on the Susquehanna in July
by Billy Collins
I have never been fishing on the Susquehanna
or on any river for that matter
to be perfectly honest.
Looking for tweets for wooden.