from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A blank, expressionless face.
- n. A person, especially a performer, who has or assumes a blank expression.
- adj. Impassively matter-of-fact, as in style, behavior, or expression: deadpan delivery of the joke.
- adv. With a blank, expressionless face.
- transitive v. To express in an impassive, matter-of-fact way.
- intransitive v. To express oneself in an impassive, matter-of-fact way.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Deliberately impassive or expressionless (as a face or look).
- adj. Having such a face or look (as a person).
- adj. Impassive (as behaviour or speech).
- n. A style of comedic delivery in which something humourous is said or done while not exhibiting a change in emotion or facial expression.
- v. To express (oneself) in an impassive or expressionless manner.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. deliberately impassive in manner
- adv. without betraying any feeling
Otherwise, if they just do what I call a deadpan interpretation, you miss the emphasis and you miss the real importance of what your Russian counterpart is saying.
I ran up to find him lying there on fire while the game noted in deadpan text "Your friend is hurt".
[S] ly humor and a certain deadpan zaniness give literary conventions an ironic twist, with hilarious results.
I have a really good deadpan, and while matastas has many fine skills, he will be first to tell you that reading Scandosotan deadpan is not on the list.
Since deadpan is the way in 3-5 days I should have one in my grubby paws.
I wonder if being completely deadpan is a side effect of eating Monkey Chow.
He said it in a deadpan, which is pretty much how he says everything, but it might have been a helpful statement nonetheless.
I took the phone and tried to keep my expression as deadpan as he was.
Those of you too lazy to hit the last link won't understand this, but the key to a successful performance of this story is to remain deadpan.
The man was staring down at him, his expression eerily deadpan.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.