American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Not tolerating irrelevancies; direct, efficient, and practical: the no-nonsense tones of a stern parent; plain, no-nonsense meals at a diner.
- adj. Practical, not concerning oneself with anything silly or unimportant.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Not tolerating irrelevant or frivolous distractions; businesslike; serious.
- adj. Serving the purpose without unnecessary complications; uncomplicated; plain; not fancy.
- adj. Practical and economical.
- adj. not tolerating irrelevancies
“A dark-haired woman stepped from the crowd of agents, her expression no-nonsense, her eyes a cold metallic blue.”
“A summary of his statement on the level of nuclear risk has received the endorsement of top military and academic luminaries, including Robert Inman, the retired admiral and former NSA director who is known as a no-nonsense technocrat, not a bleeding heart.”
“The character in question is described as a no-nonsense natural leader, who despite rarely letting her guard down, is actually vulnerable and deeply caring.”
“Walton, who is known as a no-nonsense judge who runs a fair proceeding, seemed livid with how the situation unfolded.”
“Enter Peter Laviolette, who ranks among the coaches most likely to be described as no-nonsense, and who immediately held players accountable for their actions on the ice by denying them ice time.”
“The expression on the woman’s face was what Luz had always called her no-nonsense look.”
“Please join me in my Spring Series of Spirit Support Skills Teleseminars, a series of relaxed workshops via a telephone conference call that offer lessons in practical spirituality with no-nonsense approaches and practices to help you live your daily life in a consciously and conscientiously sacred manner.”
““Roque is a no-nonsense type of character,” the actor observes.”
“His no-nonsense charm and candor will appeal to conservatives, moderates, and Muppets alike.”
“Then again, the Scotsman Steps possess a no-nonsense, practical, modest quality, thanks to Creed's streak of sober restraint – the streak that makes him a minimalist.”
Looking for tweets for no-nonsense.