from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, like, or appropriate to a father: fatherly love.
- adj. Showing the affection of a father.
- adv. In a manner befitting a father.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Characteristic of what is considered the ideal behaviour pertaining to fatherhood.
- adj. Characteristic of fathers, paternal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Like a father in affection and care; paternal; tender; protecting; careful.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a father.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining or proper to a father: as, fatherly authority.
- Due from a father; like a kind father in affection and care; tender; paternal; protecting; careful: as, fatherly care or affection.
- Synonyms Fatherly, Paternal, Parental. Fatherly represents that which is more kind or tender or forbearing; paternal and parental represent that which is more strict or official.
- In the manner of a father.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. like or befitting a father or fatherhood; kind and protective
Sorry, no etymologies found.