from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or befitting a son or daughter: filial respect.
- adj. Having or assuming the relationship of child or offspring to parent.
- adj. Genetics Of or relating to a generation or the sequence of generations following the parental generation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to or befitting a son or daughter.
- adj. Respectful of the duties and attitudes of a son or daughter toward their parents.
- adj. Of a generation or generations descending from a specific previous one.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a son or daughter; becoming to a child in relation to his parents.
- adj. Bearing the relation of a child.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to a son or daughter; becoming to or due from a child in relation to the parents.
- Bearing the relation of a child.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. designating the generation or the sequence of generations following the parental generation
- adj. relating to or characteristic of or befitting an offspring
Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin fīliālis, from Latin fīlius, son; see dhē(i)- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English filial, from Latin fīliālis, from filius ("son") / filia ("daughter"). (Wiktionary)