American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to marriage or the relationship of spouses.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to marriage; of the nature of marriage; matrimonial; nuptial: as, a conjugal union; the conjugal relation.
- Pertaining to the relation, of husband and wife; arising from or proper to marriage; connubial; individually, marital or wifely.
- Synonyms Connubial, Nuptial, etc. See matrimonial.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Belonging to marriage; suitable or appropriate to the marriage state or to married persons; matrimonial; connubial.
- adj. of or relating to marriage or to the relationship between a wife and husband
- Latin coniugālis, from coniūnx, coniug-, spouse, from coniungere, to join in marriage; see conjoin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I shall show the higher part intellect plays in conjugal love, the control, restraint, forbearance, sacrifice.”
“The excellence of the intention is fully and readily recognised, but, for all practical purposes, the letter has received very much the same treatment at the hands of the Northern public as that usually assigned to intermeddlers in conjugal differences.”
“Continue therefore to live even with unbelieving relatives; for, if you are holy, the relation is so, the state is so, you may make a holy use even of an unbelieving relative, in conjugal duties, and your seed will be holy too.”
“Al Jannabi (Gagnier, tom.iii. p. 287) records his own testimony, that he surpassed all men in conjugal vigor; and”
“This is the love of familiar, committed partners, variously known as conjugal, married, or spousal love.”
“Because procreation is the primary purpose for sexual activity more properly called the conjugal act, a married couple is not to engage in any sexual activity that intentionally thwarts or subverts the procreation of children.”
“Aflame with the idea of conjugal bliss as a veritable religion, in the 1930s he tried to create a whole "" Hilda Chapel '' full of paintings on the joys of married life.”
“Why is the act of intercourse called the conjugal act?”
“At first they lightheartedly recall their conjugal experiences, but with the recollection of the suicide of their mutual friend Barbara their thoughts darken into remembrance of Catharine's insanity and her time spent in a Swiss sanitarium.”
“What might follow is needless for me to name; -- your soul must shudder at the idea of conjugal infidelity!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘conjugal’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
Words as I learn them.
A collection of words about doing the nasty.
Words to learn via rote repetition.
Terms from the Standard Cipher Code of the American Railway Association, 1906. The terms were shorthand for common phrases used in telegraphic communications between station agents and Railway Asso...
words I read but don't know
Looking for tweets for conjugal.