American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to marriage: marital status; marital problems.
- adj. Of or relating to a husband.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to a husband, or to marriage as it concerns the husband: as, marital rights or authority; marital devotion.
- Hence Pertaining to or of the nature of marriage; matrimonial; connubial.
- adj. Pertaining to marriage.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. archaic Of or pertaining to a husband.
- adj. Of or pertaining to marriage; matrimonial.
- adj. of or relating to the state of marriage
- Latin maritalis (Wiktionary)
- Latin marītālis, from marītus, married. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He uses the term "marital disruption" because one of his main points is that the official "divorce rate" does not account for the number of households in which one spouse deserted the family.”
“While the term marital property can seem quite simple, it is a complex process and forces parties to account and document every penny that was spent in order to prove whether the property is marital or separate.”
“I was reading in a magazine, it's what they call marital rape.”
“My father wants me to believe that it is exactly her obsession with being in control that has led them to what he calls their marital apocalypse.”
“It is simply a question of a group of men and a group of women who may lawfully have what we call marital relations.”
“If the people of Brooklyn wanted to forgive Markowitz for accepting three all-costs-covered trips to Europe, and pass over the return trip to Turkey, and then overlook the extra tickets for Mrs. Markowitz in the name of marital solidarity and a failure to appreciate the niceties of the city ethics code, there's still this:”
“Indeed, I believe that in marital decisions women are more thoughtful and far-sighted than men, partly because marriage has meant much more to women than to men.”
“Kate Gosselin's counsel says Jon contingency return $180K in marital supports by Oct. 26”
“Kate Gosselin's counsel says Jon contingency lapse $180K in marital supports by Oct. 26”
“For centuries, the Church was highly suspicious of pleasure in marital relations, doubting that it was possible to indulge without at least venial sin.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘marital’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Sets of anagrams that have contrasting or related meanings.
A collection of words about doing the nasty.
Looking for tweets for marital.