from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Relating to marriage or the married state; conjugal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or relating to the state of being married.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to marriage, or the marriage state; conjugal; nuptial.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to marriage; nuptial; springing from or proper to the married state; matrimonial; conjugal.
- Synonyms Conjugal, Hymeneal, etc. See matrimonial.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to marriage or to the relationship between a wife and husband
- adv. in a conjugal manner
Latin cōnūbiālis, from cōnūbium, marriage : com-, com- + nūbere, to marry.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
1650s, from Latin connūbiālis, from connūbium ("marriage, wedlock") (variants of cōnūbiālis ("pertaining to wedlock"), from cōnūbium ("marriage, wedlock")) from com- ("together") (English com-) + nūbō ("marry, to take as husband") (from which nubile) from Proto-Indo-European *sneubho- (“to marry, to wed”). (Wiktionary)