from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Characterized or swayed by sentiment.
- adj. Affectedly or extravagantly emotional.
- adj. Resulting from or colored by emotion rather than reason or realism.
- adj. Appealing to the sentiments, especially to romantic feelings: sentimental music.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. characterized by sentiment, sentimentality or excess emotion
- adj. derived from emotion rather than reason
- adj. romantic
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having, expressing, or containing a sentiment or sentiments; abounding with moral reflections; containing a moral reflection; didactic.
- adj. Inclined to sentiment; having an excess of sentiment or sensibility; indulging the sensibilities for their own sake; artificially or affectedly tender; -- often in a reproachful sense.
- adj. Addressed or pleasing to the emotions only, usually to the weaker and the unregulated emotions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Swayed, or apt to be swayed, by sentiment; of a tender and susceptible heart; mawkishly tender or susceptible: as, a sentimental person.
- Containing or characterized by sentiment; appealing to the feelings rather than to reason: as, a sentimental song; sentimental works.
- Synonyms Romantic, Sentimental (see romantic), hysterical, gushing, etc. (in style).
- Of or pertaining to sentimentalism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. given to or marked by sentiment or sentimentality
- adj. effusively or insincerely emotional
Sorry, no etymologies found.