from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the countries of the Occident or their peoples or cultures; western.
- n. A native or inhabitant of an Occidental country; a westerner.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or situated in, the occident, or west; western.
- adj. this sense?) (obsolete) Possessing inferior hardness, brilliance, or beauty; – used of inferior precious stones and gems, because those found in the Orient are generally superior.
- n. A Western Christian of the Latin rite
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or situated in, the occident, or west; western; -- opposed to
- adj. Possessing inferior hardness, brilliancy, or beauty; -- used of inferior precious stones and gems, because those found in the Orient are generally superior.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the occident or west; of, pertaining to, or characteristic of those countries or parts of the earth which lie to the westward.
- Specifically [cap. or lowercase] — Pertaining to or characteristic of those countries of Europe defined above as the Occident (see occident, 2), or their civilization and its derivatives in the western hemisphere: as, Occidental climates; Occidental gold; Occidental energy and progress.
- Pertaining to the countries of the western hemisphere; American as opposed to European.
- Setting after the sun: as, an occidental planet.
- Further to the west.
- As used of gems. having only an inferior degree of beauty and excellence; inferior to true (or oriental) gems, which, with but few exceptions, come from the East.
- In all meanings opposed to oriental or orient.
- n. [cap. or lowercase] A native or an inhabitant of the Occident or of some Occidental country: opposed to Oriental.
- n. Specifically— A native or an inhabitant of western Europe.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of the western hemisphere; an American.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a native inhabitant of the Occident
- n. an artificial language
- adj. denoting or characteristic of countries of Europe and the western hemisphere
From Old French occident, from Latin occidentem ("western sky, part of the sky in which the sun sets"), from occido ("go down, set") (Wiktionary)