from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the north; northern.
- adj. Of or concerning the north wind.
- adj. Of or relating to the forest areas of the northern North Temperate Zone, dominated by coniferous trees such as spruce, fir, and pine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, relating to, or coming from the north.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Northern; pertaining to the north, or to the north wind.
- adj. Designating or pertaining to a terrestrial division consisting of the northern and mountainous parts of both the Old and the New World; -- equivalent to the Holarctic region exclusive of the Transition, Sonoran, and corresponding areas. The term is used by American authors and applied by them chiefly to the Nearctic subregion. The Boreal region includes approximately all of North and Central America in which the mean temperature of the hottest season does not exceed 18° C. (= 64.4° F.). Its subdivisions are the Arctic zone and Boreal zone, the latter including the area between the Arctic and Transition zones.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to, situated in, or issuing from the north; relating or pertaining to the north or to the north wind; northern.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. comprising or throughout far northern regions
- adj. toward or located in the north
- adj. relating to or marked by qualities associated with the north wind
Middle English, from Late Latin Boreālis, from Latin Boreās, Boreas; see Boreas.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin boreālis ("northern"), from Boreās, from Ancient Greek Βορέας (Boreās, "personification of the north wind"). (Wiktionary)