American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Situated toward the west.
- adj. Coming or being from the west: westerly winds.
- n. A storm or wind coming from the west.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having a generally westward direction; proceeding or directed mainly toward the west: as, a westerly current or course; the westerly trend of a mountain-chain.
- Situated toward the west; lying to the westward: as, the westerly parts of a country.
- Looking toward the west: as, a westerly exposure.
- Coming from the general direction
- To the westward; in a westerly direction.
- adj. Situated in the west.
- adj. of wind Coming from the west.
- adv. Towards the west.
- n. A westerly wind or storm.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to the west; toward the west; coming from the west; western.
- adv. Toward the west; westward.
- adv. toward the west
- adv. from the west
- adj. moving toward the west
- n. the winds from the west that occur in the temperate zones of the Earth
- adj. of wind; from the west
- Middle English, from wester, western, from Old English westra; see wes-pero- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“We have winds that have switched to the northwest now almost feel westerly, which is kind of pushing the water out and laying down these waves which, about four or five hours ago were curling in here and breaking in here at 10, 12, even 15 feet.”
“What I doubt some is whether the word 'westerly' was there right from the start off of the beginnin '.”
“They flew for several hours in a direction which would have been called "westerly" on the earth; and during the time they were above land, Billie saw no sign of factories, farms, or other forms of industry.”
“westerly' appearin 'in all the papers McKettrick's got regardin' this enterprise.”
“westerly" will come along by-and-by and release you, and, with a staggering press of sail carried to the reliable gale, away you go for the long stretch of a hundred degrees or so eastward.”
“After passing through, much colder air invaded the East and, with westerly gales buffeting the Great Lakes, lake-effect blizzard conditions ensued:”
“The citizens of West Yorkshire may be ambivalent about north, south and even east Leeds, but the fact that this festival is now in its seventh year shows that there is a lot of love out there for the westerly parts of the city.”
“Law Number XLIV: Aircraft flight in the 21st century will always be in a westerly direction, preferably supersonic, crossing time zones to provide the additional hours needed to fix the broken electronics.”
““Fair westerly breeze, with a promise of stiffening, if Louis predicts correctly.””
“Another week of westerly gales, alternating with brief periods of calm, has elapsed, making a total of six weeks off the Horn.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘westerly’.
broker a peace ac..., client state, deadlocked peace ..., embassy, freeze, goodwill ambassador, hinterland, interfere in dome..., intervene personally, maintain technica..., mediation, no business as usual and 670 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for westerly.