from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Down the slope of a hill.
- adv. Toward a lower or worse condition: The alcoholic's health went downhill fast.
- adj. Sloping downward; descending.
- adj. Sports Of, relating to, or constituting skiing down a slope: a downhill racer.
- n. A downhill skiing race.
- n. A downward gradient; a descending slope.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Down a slope
- adj. located down a slope or hill
- adj. going down a slope or a hill
- adj. easy
- adj. deteriorating, getting worse
- n. The fastest of the disciplines of alpine skiing
- n. A rapid descent of a hill in related sports, especially in alpine skiing
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Declivous; descending; sloping.
- adv. Towards the bottom of a hill.
- n. Declivity; descent; slope.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Sloping downward; descending; declining.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. toward a lower or inferior state
- n. a ski race down a trail
- adv. toward the bottom of a hill
- adj. sloping down rather steeply
- n. the downward slope of a hill
But he made one mistake just before a big jump, and one mistake in downhill is all it takes.
• His fourth-place finish in the downhill is the only time this season Miller hasn't reached the podium in a race that he finished.
In the summers, Del Bosco competed in downhill mountain bike races.
Triple 2010 Olympic medalist Miller missed the World Cup finals with an ankle injury and finished 20th overall, 17th in downhill, 18th in super-G and fifth in super-combined.
Other than that, the U.S. men have gotten off to a desultory start, with only diminutive 5-6 downhiller Andy Weibrecht, 23, distinguishing himself with 12th-place finishes last weekend in downhill and super-G.
As I say, it all went downhill from the Edwardians. jt Says:
At the 2006 Olympics, when Vonn, then 21, crashed in downhill training and failed to win a medal while racing through the pain in her back and hip, she still had some baby fat.
I'm not going to compete in downhill skiing or ice dancing.
Vonn won a gold in downhill and bronze in super-G at these Olympics.
On inclined roofs the efflorescence stain may occur downhill from the source of the leak on the roof and not directly above the stain.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.