American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The collection of small marine crustaceans of the order Euphausiacea that are the principal food of baleen whales.
- n. any of several small marine crustacean species of plankton in the order Euphausiacea in the class Malacostraca
- n. shrimp-like planktonic crustaceans; major source of food for e.g. baleen whales
- From Dutch kriel ("puny/tiny"), applied to fish fry (in the sense of hatchlings); sometimes interpreted as "whale food". (Wiktionary)
- Norwegian kril, young fry of fish. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Their definition of forage fish includes fishes, squids, and the shrimp-like crustaceans called krill that swarm in cold waters where they feed everything from seabirds to whales.”
“Krill oil is an oil extracted from shrimp-like crustaceans called krill.”
“Antarctica was the antithesis of the jungle or the rain forest, where everything burgeoned and mutated and thousands of species and tens of thousands of * A krill is a small, shrimplike marine crustacean and a vital constituent of the Antarctic food chain.”
“The sex lives of the ocean-dwelling crustaceans known as krill have been largely a mystery.”
“The whales feed on small sea creatures known as krill, which in turn eat microscopic marine algae.”
“Asper says about a half-dozen dead shrimp-like creatures known as krill were atop a sample taken two miles south of the well - but there's no way to tell whether oil killed them.”
“' Copepods are 120 times smaller than krill, which is inevitably going to affect all the things that feed in that area.”
“Blue and some other whale species eat by taking enormous mouthfuls of water and filtering out their meals, often tiny crustaceans called krill, using plates of baleen made of keratin, a protein found in hair, fingernails and feathers.”
“Known as the gentle giants of the sea, blue whales consume 7,000 pounds of tiny shrimp called krill daily, but still scientists know very little about the massive mammals.”
“As with other baleen whales, its diet consists almost exclusively of small crustaceans known as krill •”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘krill’.
May you be (a) . . . .
picophytoplankton, bioluminescent pl..., holoplankton, meroplankton, antarctic nanophy..., euplankton, epiplankton, phytoplankton, zooplankton, foraminifera, coccolithophors, ichthyoplankton and 22 more...
When you're underwater, what do you see or experience? Let's dive...
(Here's a cute little related list called Fishful Thinking...)
Looking for tweets for krill.