from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A female given name.
- proper n. Generic use for any female (as Sheila in Australian English), especially paired (since the 15th c., compare Ienken and Iulyan) with the male Jack.
- proper n. A young woman; a sweetheart; like the variant spelling Gill it was also associated with various assertive uses of the term flirt, as in flirtgigg (used by William Shakespeare for a 'woman of light or loose behavior').
- proper n. A man's right hand; usually used in allusion to masturbation.
- proper n. A jillstrap: the female counterpart to a jockstrap.
A variant of Gill, diminutive of Gillian, a medieval form of Juliana, ultimately from Latin. (Wiktionary)