from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A female given name.
- proper n. Generic use for any female (as Sheila in Australian English), especially paired (since the 15th c., compare Ienken and Iulyan) with the male Jack.
- proper n. A young woman; a sweetheart; like the variant spelling Gill it was also associated with various assertive uses of the term flirt, as in flirtgigg (used by William Shakespeare for a 'woman of light or loose behavior').
- proper n. A man's right hand; usually used in allusion to masturbation.
- proper n. A jillstrap: the female counterpart to a jockstrap.
MARY BETH CARROLL, JILL CARROLL'S MOTHER: Jill has always shown the highest respect for the Iraqi people and their customs.
JACKIE SPINNER, FRIEND OF HOSTAGE JILL CARROLL: I think any journalist in Iraq is nervous about exactly what's happened to Jill.
NATASHA TYNES, FRIEND OF JILL CARROLL: The e-mails that I want to share with you is just to show that Jill was extremely careful when she went to Iraq and she's not a reckless person and she was extremely careful and she knew what she was doing.
JIM CARROLL, JILL CARROLL'S FATHER: I want to speak directly to the men holding my daughter Jill because they may also be fathers like me.
JIM CARROLL, JILL CARROLL'S FATHER: Your story is one that can be told by Jill to the whole world.
JIM CARROLL, FATHER OF JILL CARROLL: Jill started to tell your story, so, please, let her finish it.
KATIE CARROLL, JILL CARROLL'S SISTER: There's no one I hold closer to my heart than my sister, Jill, and I'm deeply worried about how she is being treated.
Me and jill and Holly went for drinks with her (jills) parents to celebrate the fact that Jill got a new, rad, science - related job! yay. then me and jill went to the Night Gallery to see Duotang, but first had to put up with this horrid band called Crush.
She saw Lacayo finally give up, sit back down at his desk and wait for the bell. jill let Phaedra go on and on about the dance, and when she finally stopped talking long enough to start on her lunch, Jill said, "Let's go."
And you have travelled three thousand miles to bring a message from him to Jill -- Good God! _Jill_!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.