from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who poses as a satisfied customer or an enthusiastic gambler to dupe bystanders into participating in a swindle.
- intransitive v. To act as a shill.
- transitive v. To act as a shill for (a deceitful enterprise).
- transitive v. To lure (a person) into a swindle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person paid to endorse a product favourably, while pretending to be impartial.
- n. An accomplice at a confidence trick during an auction or gambling game.
- v. To promote or endorse in return for payment, especially dishonestly.
- v. To put under cover; to sheal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To shell.
- transitive v. To put under cover; to sheal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A variant of sheal.
- To sound; shrill.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. act as a shill
- n. a decoy who acts as an enthusiastic customer in order to stimulate the participation of others
Post have so much more merit when they don't use the term shill or phrase: partisan hack.
The idea that the White House might try to infiltrate the press corps with a shill is a chilling thought in this democracy, but this is the administration that has been caught paying “journalists” and generating its own prefabricated “news reports” to distribute to TV stations too naïve to recognize the attempt at propaganda.
Watch Senator Al "Kick-Ass" Franken wipe up the floor with this health-care-lobby shill from the Hudson Institute who claimed that universal healthcare would increase medical bankruptcies.
Don't take offense to that comment, I have just always wanted to use the word shill in a sentance.
His current mission, as ranking shill, is to 3-card-Monty the herd.
I used the word shill in reference to the checkered career of S.
This kind of leadership is dangerous and has one and only one description - facism Report Abuse Darryl "BOOM BOOM" Issa is a long term shill for corporate interests.
The definition of the word shill is someone being paid.
They love to see me characterized as a shill and a geeky sportswriter who was always picked last in pickup games.
I used the word shill as a hat tip to said Mr Singer’s habit of taking money from the industries he is paid to cover for.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.