from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that boosts, as:
- n. A device for increasing power or effectiveness.
- n. An enthusiastic promoter, as of a sports team or school.
- n. Electronics A radio-frequency amplifier.
- n. The primary stage of a multistage rocket that provides the main thrust for launch, liftoff, and initial flight.
- n. A booster shot.
- n. Slang One who steals goods on display in a store.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something that boosts.
- n. The first stage of a multistage rocket that provides the thrust for liftoff and the initial flight
- n. Someone who is a fan or supporter of something.
- n. Someone who promotes a town or business
- n. A member of a booster club.
- n. A booster dose.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for regulating the electro-motive force in an alternating-current circuit; -- so called because used to “boost”, or raise, the pressure in the circuit.
- n. an enthusiastic supporter.
- n. the first stage of a multistage rocket, providing all or part of the driving force at lift-off and until the second stage ignites, whether or not the booster stage is detached after the fuel is spent. Also called booster rocket. In some cases, a booster has been used to assist the takeoff of airplanes.
- n. an immunizing medication given after an initial immunizing treatment, to provide increased or extended immunity. Also called booster dose. When in the form of an injection, it may be called a booster shot.
- n. any auxiliary device or part of a device to provide increased power, force, or effectiveness, as with a pumping device.
- n. an explosive charge which is more powerful than a primer, used in conjunction with a primer to assure detonation of the main charge. Integrated blasting caps containing separate compartments for primer and booster are used as detonators for certain explosives.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who boosts.
- n. In electricity, a device by which the electromotive force in an electric circuit is regulated.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who backs a politician or a team etc.
- n. the first stage of a multistage rocket
- n. an additional dose that makes sure the first dose was effective
- n. someone who is an active supporter and advocate
- n. a thief who steals goods that are in a store
- n. an amplifier for restoring the strength of a transmitted signal
Sorry, no etymologies found.