from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone or something that lifts or assists in lifting.
- n. A weightlifter.
- n. A spatula.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, lifts.
- n. A tool for lifting loose sand from the mold; also, a contrivance attached to a cope, to hold the sand together when the cope is lifted.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who lifts or raises anything.
- n. That by means of which something is lifted; an instrument or contrivance for lifting, as a hoisting-apparatus or elevator, a curved arm in a steam-engine for lifting the puppet-valve automatically, a bucket-wheel for raising pulp in a paper-mill, a kitchen utensil for lifting the lids of a stove, etc.
- n. A thief; one who lifts a thing for the purpose of purloining it.
- n. In founding:
- n. One of the hooks suspended from the bars of a moldingbox into the mold to support the sand.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an athlete who lifts barbells
- n. a thief who steals goods that are in a store
Sorry, no etymologies found.