American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Sports A jockey.
- n. A disc jockey.
- n. An athletic supporter.
- n. Sports An athlete, especially in college.
- n. Slang One characterized by excessive concern for machismo.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To jolt.
- n. Same as Jack, 1.
- n. [lowercase] Same as jockey.
- n. An iron rod, usually pronged, which is attached to the rear end of a train of mine-cars ascending an incline, and trails behind, to stop the descent of the cars if the rope breaks.
- n. A nautical name for a Scotch seaman.
- n. slang, archaic A common man.
- n. UK, slang, pejorative A Scotsman.
- v. slang to masturbate
- v. slang to humiliate
- v. slang to steal
- n. slang, rare, dated The penis.
- n. An athletic supporter worn by men to support the genitals especially during sports, a jockstrap.
- n. US, slang An athlete.
- n. US, slang, pejorative An enthusiastic athlete or sports fan, especially one with few other interests. A slow-witted person of large size and great physical strength. A pretty boy that shows off in sport.
- n. US, slang, computing A specialist computer programmer
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a person trained to compete in sports; an athlete.
- n. A jockstrap.
- n. A disk jockey.
- n. a support for the genitals worn by men engaging in strenuous exercise
- n. a person trained to compete in sports
- The computer slang meanings are derived from the athletic slang meanings. The athletic slang meanings in turn date from the middle 20th century and are simple abbreviations of jockstrap, which is in turn derived from the older slang meaning of jock itself, which dates from the 17th century, and whose etymology is unknown. (Wiktionary)
- Short for jockey.Short for jockstrap. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Maybe it's the smelly locker rooms or the requisite killer instinct, but the term jock has just never really fit you.”
“Big Brother, Space Station Edition: Pick the hottest babes from an international set of scientists, one grumpy Russian, a cut party animal fighter jock from the US Navy and lock them in an orbital space station for 1 month of intense competition.”
“Society, outside that crazy little crucible of high school — and even inside it given half a chance — thinks that jock is a complete arse-wipe.”
“Skater culture has always had one foot squarely planted in jock territory. mroberts Says:”
“How would straight men like it if we saw men in jock straps bouncing around?”
“The cheerleader is in training to marry the 'jock' - first making cookies then babies as the obedient little wife.”
“When it affects the groin area, it's commonly called jock itch.”
“While the charges against the white Dukies for molesting a black stripper they had hired for a party were eventually dropped, Roberts 'denunciations of entitled jock bad behavior were uncomfortably on the mark.”
“Retired sword jock soldier, Eddie LaCrosse sets up a private investigative practice in the small-town of Neceda, Muscoida.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘jock’.
As the playoffs are on, some Hockey terms, and likely some Canadianisms in here.
Inspired by gangerh's extremely addictive list songbirds, this is the same type list, but for male names. Same rules apply:
Names of boys in song titles. Not in the lyrics, just in the title...
Alle Menschen werden Brüder - sooner or later? Derogatory terms for anybody different.
Inspired by fbharjo (see spitchcock).
funny names for the private parts.
( noun, randomness, funny )
also see: http://www.wordnik.com/lists/a...
Words as I learn them.
Words that are the basis for ridicule, misunderstanding, and shunning.
I hate these words!
Looking for tweets for jock.