from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that transports or conveys: baggage carriers; a message carrier.
- n. One, such as a person, business, or organization, that deals in the transport of passengers or goods.
- n. A mechanism or device by which something is conveyed or conducted.
- n. Medicine A person or an animal that shows no symptoms of a disease but harbors the infectious agent of that disease and is capable of transmitting it to others.
- n. Genetics An individual that carries one gene for a particular recessive trait. A carrier does not express the trait but, when mated with another carrier, can produce offspring that do.
- n. Electronics A carrier wave.
- n. Electronics A charge-carrying entity, especially an electron or a hole in a semiconductor.
- n. An aircraft carrier.
- n. An insurance or underwriting organization.
- n. A telecommunications company.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person or object that carries someone or something else.
- n. A carrier pigeon, a newspaperese term (misnomer) for a homing pigeon, racing pigeon, racing homer, homer.
- n. An Old English carrier pigeon or Old English carrier (the "King of the Doos").
- n. A person or company in the business of shipping freight.
- n. A person or animal that transmits a disease to others without itself contracting the disease.
- n. A signal such as radio, sound, or light that is modulated to transmit information.
- n. A mobile network operator; wireless carrier.
- n. An inert material added to an active ingredient to aid in the application and/or the effectiveness of active ingredient.
- n. A certified airline.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, carries or conveys; a messenger.
- n. One who is employed, or makes it his business, to carry goods for others for hire; a porter; a teamster.
- n. That which drives or carries; as: (a) A piece which communicates to an object in a lathe the motion of the face plate; a lathe dog. (b) A spool holder or bobbin holder in a braiding machine. (c) A movable piece in magazine guns which transfers the cartridge to a position from which it can be thrust into the barrel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which carries or conveys.
- n. Specifically
- n. One who for hire undertakes the conveyance of goods or persons.
- n. A carrier-pigeon.
- n. One who manages or arranges affairs.
- n. In machinery: A piece of iron fixed by a setscrew on the end of a shaft or spindle to be turned in a lathe, or to a mandrel on which a round object is driven for the purpose of being turned; a lathe-dog. A projection in the center-chuck or face-plate drives the carrier around.
- n. The distributing-roller of a carding-machine.
- n. A roller between the drum and the feeding-rollers of a scribbling-machine, for spinning wool.
- n. In a braiding-machine, a spool- or bobbin-holder which follows in a curved path intersecting the paths of other bobbins, and so lays up the thread into a braid.
- n. A hoist, as the mold-carrier in sugar-works.
- n. (f ) Part of the breech-action of a magazine-gun. See carrier-ring.
- n. An oyster that will bear transportation well.
- An old spelling of career.
- n. In transportation, a system of endless traveling-chains supporting slats, trays, or buckets, used in transporting various materials or articles in bulk or in packages over short distances, as in a factory.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a self-propelled wheeled vehicle designed specifically to carry something
- n. a boy who delivers newspapers
- n. a radio wave that can be modulated in order to transmit a signal
- n. (medicine) a person (or animal) who has some pathogen to which he is immune but who can pass it on to others
- n. someone whose employment involves carrying something
- n. a large warship that carries planes and has a long flat deck for takeoffs and landings
- n. a rack attached to a vehicle; for carrying luggage or skis or the like
- n. an inactive substance that is a vehicle for a radioactive tracer of the same substance and that assists in its recovery after some chemical reaction
- n. a man who delivers the mail
- n. a person or firm in the business of transporting people or goods or messages
- n. (genetics) an organism that possesses a recessive gene whose effect is masked by a dominant allele; the associated trait is not apparent but can be passed on to offspring
to carry + -er (Wiktionary)