from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology The goddess of the rainbow and messenger of the gods.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A messenger of the gods, and goddess of rainbows.
- proper n. A female given name; a flower name used since the end of the 19th century.
- proper n. 7 Iris, an asteroid
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Iridaceae — the irises.
Latin Īris, from Greek, from īris, rainbow; see wei- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Ancient Greek Ἶρις iris "rainbow". (Wiktionary)