American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An electromagnetic wave with a wavelength between that of infrared and short waves (one millimeter to one meter).
- n. Informal A microwave oven.
- v. To cook or heat (food) in a microwave oven.
- n. An electromagnetic wave with wavelength between that of infrared light and radio waves.
- n. A microwave oven.
- v. transitive To cook (something) in a microwave oven.
- n. a short electromagnetic wave (longer than infrared but shorter than radio waves); used for radar and microwave ovens and for transmitting telephone, facsimile, video and data
- n. kitchen appliance that cooks food by passing an electromagnetic wave through it; heat results from the absorption of energy by the water molecules in the food
- v. cook or heat in a microwave oven
- micro- + wave (Wiktionary)
“It occurred in a world before manned space travel, when the Princess phone was the ultimate in communication, when the term microwave was something you encountered in a college physics textbook instead of on your kitchen counter.”
“Also, I'd classify the grape in the microwave is a physics demo, not a chem one.ey. look.”
“Also ..... defrosting things in your fridge instead of an open kitchen or a microwave is a great way to save energy as during the time the item is defrosting it keeps your fridge cooler so it does less work!”
“Have I mentioned that my microwave is also an oven?”
“Because they think the microwave is the greatest invention on earth.”
“Methinks the microwave is not long for this household.”
“- Actually in not many countries the microwave is used as excessively as in the US.”
“Ono teapot set are certified for use in microwave or conventional oven, as well as dishwasher-safe.”
“Mash berries with syrup, heat in microwave for 30 seconds, and put on top of toasted waffles.”
“My parents (and one neighbor) are the only two houses on the street lucky enough to be angled as to get internet beamed to them via microwave from a local microwave internet provider (literally a husband and wife company that have a transmitter on a nearby hill).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘microwave’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
DISCLAIMER: Not for the faint of heart/humerus
There's a backstory, I swear: Arabic has numerous insults beginning with "My dick in your..."
"My dick in your religion"
Sometimes work and life is so hectic that I don't have time to hang around wordie and immerse myself in its pleasures.
If this list remains empty it will be a poignant memorial to tho...
maiden over-worked, pantomime horse, so tired i don't ..., a fine kettle of ..., trumpa-trump, e for brick, bleary, armenian nutmeg cake, tiramisù, so tired i couldn..., bow ties with gra..., hug and 4 more...
Okay, I admit it. I made a list of words my daughter knew when she was two years old.
Things heard around the store, both on the floor and in the back room...
Looking for tweets for microwave.