from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Radiation; radiant energy: radiometer.
- Radioactive: radiochemistry.
- Radio: radiotelephone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- radio (broadcasting)
- radius (bone)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A combining form indicating connection with, or relation to, a radius or ray; specifically (Anat.), with the radius of the forearm.
- adj. Of or pertaining to, or employing, or operated by, radiant energy, specifically that of electromagnetic waves with frequencies between those of infrared radiation and X-rays; hence, pertaining to, or employed in, broadcast radio or television, microwaves, radiotelephones, etc..
- adj. of or pertaining to broadcast radio.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. indicating radiation or radioactivity
- n. an electronic receiver that detects and demodulates and amplifies transmitted signals
- n. a communication system based on broadcasting electromagnetic waves
- v. transmit messages via radio waves
- n. medium for communication
Ionizing radiation such as the kind emitted by UV rays or X-rays breaks chemical bonds and releases ions whereas non-ionising radiation, such as radio- or microwaves, cannot break chemical bonds but can produce other effects on matter, such as heat.
Crestview, a New York-based private-equity firm, created a strategic partnership with Cumulus in April to invest in radio- broadcasting companies.
March 10 Bloomberg -- Cumulus Media Inc., the U.S. radio- station owner, offered to buy larger rival Citadel Broadcasting Corp. in a deal worth $2.4 billion to expand its coverage and cut costs, ending months of negotiations.
Today, Cory Booker, the African American mayor of the City of Newark, New Jersey, was on the radio- WFAN.
The procedure could also benefit boys with cancer who are too young to produce sperm but are at risk of being made infertile by radio- or chemotherapy.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.