from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A message transmitted by wireless telegraphy.
- n. A radiograph.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A message, like a telegram, transmitted by radio rather than wires.
- n. An entertainment device that combined a radio and a record player or gramophone.
- n. A radiograph.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A picture taken by means of the action of Röntgen rays, or of similar obscure rays such as those emitted by radium, upon a sensitized plate; a print from a radiographic negative.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a photographic image produced on a radiosensitive surface by radiation other than visible light (especially by X-rays or gamma rays)
- n. a message transmitted by wireless telegraphy
The formal definition of a radiogram is a plain text message sent in a recognizable format over amateur radio, but in this case it describes a coded message transmitted over shortwave radio directly to operatives in Moscow.
That message was to be sent by "radiogram," a wireless communication method similar to Morse code, the document said.
It went straight on to the radiogram, and I played it over and over again.
The nice thing about a vinyl record played through a radiogram with a tube (valve) amplifier is that it sounded warm as opposed to bright.
The 50s – growing up with the family radiogram in the living room.
There is even a radiogram, one of the pieces which the Dowager Duchess herself is selling: it is of course a rather grand walnut veneered model by the royal jewellers Garrard and Co.
Lesser mortals turn out their attics and find a dead radiogram, a broken Teasmade and two perished hot water bottles.
He takes them out of the shelf of the old radiogram, stacks them up on the ling spindle, settles back into his chair with the Bush and the comic.
Seeing Jerry and talking to him in the Cosy Cot had brought back to her mind the details of the time before when she had sat with him, listening to the same tunes on the same radiogram.
They sat there smoking and drinking coffee for an hour or more, listening to the radiogram, reluctant to go home.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.