from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of conveying.
- n. A means of conveying, especially a vehicle for transportation.
- n. Law Transfer of title to property from one person to another.
- n. Law The document by which a property transfer is effected.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An act or instance of conveying.
- n. A means of transporting, especially a vehicle.
- n. An instrument transferring title of an object from one person or group of persons to another.
- v. To transfer (the title) of an object from one person or group of persons to another.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of conveying, carrying, or transporting; carriage.
- n. The instrument or means of carrying or transporting anything from place to place; the vehicle in which, or means by which, anything is carried from one place to another.
- n. The act or process of transferring, transmitting, handing down, or communicating; transmission.
- n. The act by which the title to property, esp. real estate, is transferred; transfer of ownership; an instrument in writing (as a deed or mortgage), by which the title to property is conveyed from one person to another.
- n. Dishonest management, or artifice.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of conveying; the act of bearing, carrying, or transporting, as by land or water, or through any medium; transmission; transference; transport; convoy.
- n. In law: The act of transferring property from one person to another, as by “lease and release,” “bargain and sale”; transfer.
- n. The instrument or document by which property is transferred from one person to another; specifically, a written instrument transferring the ownership of real property between living persons; a deed of land. It is sometimes used as including leases, mortgages, etc., and sometimes in contradistinction to them.
- n. That by which anything is carried or borne along; any instrument of transportation from one place to another; specifically, a carriage or coach; a vehicle of any kind.
- n. The act of removing; removal.
- n. A device; an artifice; hence, secret practices; clever or underhand management.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. act of transferring property title from one person to another
- n. document effecting a property transfer
- n. the transmission of information
- n. the act of moving something from one location to another
- n. something that serves as a means of transportation
Sorry, no etymologies found.