from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A system of transporting troops, civilian passengers, or supplies by air, as in an emergency or when surface routes are blocked.
- n. A flight transporting troops, civilian passengers, or supplies under such conditions.
- transitive v. To transport in an airlift.
- intransitive v. To transport troops, civilian passengers, or supplies in an airlift.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The transportation of troops, civilians or supplies by air, especially in an emergency.
- n. Such a flight.
- n. A pipe that is used to suck up objects from the sea bed.
- v. To transport (troops etc) in an airlift.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. fly people or goods to or from places not accessible by other means
- n. transportation of people or goods by air (especially when other means of access are unavailable)
From air + lift. (Wiktionary)