American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An inspection or exploration of an area, especially one made to gather military information.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or operation of reconnoitering; preliminary examination or survey. Specifically— An examination of a territory or of an enemy's position, for the purpose of directing military operations.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Geol.) An examination or survey of a region in reference to its general geological character.
- n. (Engin.) An examination of a region as to its general natural features, preparatory to a more particular survey for the purposes of triangulation, or of determining the location of a public work.
- n. (Mil.) An examination of a territory, or of an enemy's position, for the purpose of obtaining information necessary for directing military operations; a preparatory expedition.
- n. the act of reconnoitring (especially to gain information about an enemy or potential enemy)
- Borrowing from French reconnaissance ("recognition") (Wiktionary)
- French, from Old French reconoissance, recognition, from reconoistre, reconoiss-, to recognize; see recognize. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“We just got - we just got what we call a reconnaissance plane.”
“In the September Campaign of 1939, he flew several sorties in reconnaissance flights as Air Gunner.”
“When his team went to Vietnam, their duties included working with ex-Vietcong, known as “chu-hoi,” in reconnaissance and infiltration”
“The miniature aircraft could be fitted with cameras and heat-seeking equipment, allowing police to carry out aerial reconnaissance from a control room.”
“Armed reconnaissance" is another way of saying the drone has a Hellfire missile attached to it in case it spies an irresistable target.”
“(Have fun!) I hope none of you gentlemen so foolish as to think that aeroplanes will be usefully employed for reconnaissance from the air.”
“Of course the Russians are entitled to test their own reconnaissance capabilities but if that reconnaissance is directed at testing our readiness, our procedures, our communications and our response times, are we not entitled to ask why that should be so?”
“The low flying O-1E Bird Dog was a prime target of Vietnamese troops because it was used in reconnaissance missions to target areas for other aircraft and ground troops.”
“It was one of the aerial photographs presumably taken by covert reconnaissance from the Chinese side and the two aircraft were standing in dispersal bays some distance from the hangars.”
The Sinkiang Executive
“The shells are thrown over the trees, the range being calculated by a daily reconnaissance sent to observe the effect of the bombardment; but this reconnaissance is not always successful, for the woods are often filled by Confederate scouts, on which occasions a free fight takes place, knocking everything else on the head.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘reconnaissance’.
Words are all I have to take your heart away
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
broker a peace ac..., client state, deadlocked peace ..., embassy, freeze, goodwill ambassador, hinterland, interfere in dome..., intervene personally, maintain technica..., mediation, no business as usual and 670 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
route recon, retrieval, RECON, passive public in..., initial exercise ..., printed media, observation flight, reconnaissance ai..., advanced tactical..., recconnaissance, communication sys..., communications sa... and 131 more...
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
a couple words
My big word list.
For those who wish no words were ever forgotten
Words as I learn them.
Looking for tweets for reconnaissance.