American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act or process of investigating.
- n. A detailed inquiry or systematic examination. See Synonyms at inquiry.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of investigating; the making of a search or inquiry; detailed or particularized examination to ascertain the truth in regard to something; careful research.
- n. Synonyms Inquisition, Inquiry, etc. (see examination); overhauling, probing. See inference.
- n. The act of investigating; the process of inquiring into or following up; research; study; inquiry, especially patient or thorough inquiry or examination; as, the investigations of the philosopher and the mathematician; the investigations of the judge, the moralist.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of investigating; the process of inquiring into or following up; research; study; inquiry, esp. patient or thorough inquiry or examination
- n. the work of inquiring into something thoroughly and systematically
- n. an inquiry into unfamiliar or questionable activities
“Perhaps I did not distinctly enough state that _Ecce Homo_ is not a book written after the investigation was completed, but the _investigation_ itself.”
“a letter which he wrote to the _Spectator_, repeating emphatically that the book is not one "written after the investigation was completed, but the _investigation_ itself.”
“Information published in a New York Timesarticle by Michelle York, June 21, 2006 affirmed that "The President of Alfred State College whose leadership was the focus of a rare, three-month investigation by state education officials last year …" It would appear that the New York Times article (and later The Chronicle of Higher Education) used the term investigation erroneously.”
“One of the fundamental characteristics of striated muscle, and the one involving the greatest difficulty in investigation, is the great rapidity with which changes take place in it.”
“To Flavia the investigation is the stuff of science: full of possibilities, contradictions, and connections.”
“The result of her investigation is a selection of 50 of the most extraordinary women across all the sciences.”
“Speaking on Fox News Sunday, Cheney said the investigation is a witch hunt, in which I am the witch which is [...]”
“A major focus of the investigation is the illegality of the war.”
“A primary focus of this investigation is a single verse in Matthew (27: 24-25): So when Pilate saw that he could do nothing, but rather that a riot was beginning, he took some water and washed his hands before the crowd, saying, 'I am innocent of this man's blood; see to it yourselves.”
“Not a single person questioned has said anything to indicate their investigation is anything but a mistake.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘investigation’.
additionality, audit trail, accounting standards, auditing standards, general audit obj..., a posteriori audit, a priori audit, above board, acceptable error ..., access rights, accountability, accountable entities and 1283 more...
Use these and get promoted
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Legal glossary with special focus on courtroom vocabulary
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
Very basic words for ESL students.
This is a list of academic words for students learning English as a Second or Foreign Language. It includes 570 word families that often appear in academic texts. It does not include words that are...
List? What list?
This is the list that makes up the world.
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
Obok Angielskich wyrazów będe pisał tłumaczenie o jakie mi chodziło.
Looking for tweets for investigation.