from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of investigating.
- n. A detailed inquiry or systematic examination. See Synonyms at inquiry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of investigating; the process of inquiring into or following up; research; study; inquiry, especially patient or thorough inquiry or examination; as, the investigations of the philosopher and the mathematician; the investigations of the judge, the moralist.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of investigating; the process of inquiring into or following up; research; study; inquiry, esp. patient or thorough inquiry or examination
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of investigating; the making of a search or inquiry; detailed or particularized examination to ascertain the truth in regard to something; careful research.
- n. Synonyms Inquisition, Inquiry, etc. (see examination); overhauling, probing. See inference.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the work of inquiring into something thoroughly and systematically
- n. an inquiry into unfamiliar or questionable activities
Sorry, no etymologies found.