from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of presenting.
- n. The state of being presented.
- n. A performance, as of a drama.
- n. Something, such as an award or gift, that is offered or given.
- n. Something, such as a lecture or speech, that is set forth for an audience: gave a presentation on drug abuse.
- n. A formal introduction.
- n. A social debut.
- n. Ecclesiastical The act or right of naming a cleric to a benefice.
- n. The process of offering for consideration or display.
- n. Medicine The position of the fetus in the uterus at birth with respect to the mouth of the uterus.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of presenting, or something presented
- n. A dramatic performance
- n. An award given to someone on a special occasion
- n. A lecture or speech given in front of an audience
- n. The symptoms and other possible indications of disease, trauma, etc., that are exhibited by a patient who has sought, or has otherwise come to, the attention of a physician, e.g., "Thirty-four-year-old male presented in the emergency room with slight fever, dilated pupils, and marked disorientation."
- n. The position of the foetus in the uterus at birth
- n. Offering one's blade for engagement by the opponent
- n. The specification of a group by generators and relators.
- n. The act or right of offering a clergyman to the bishop or ordinary for institution in a benefice.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of presenting, or the state of being presented; a setting forth; an offering; bestowal.
- n. exhibition; representation; display; appearance; semblance; show.
- n. That which is presented or given; a present; a gift, .
- n. The act of offering a clergyman to the bishop or ordinary for institution in a benefice; the right of presenting a clergyman.
- n. The particular position of the child during labor relatively to the passage though which it is to be brought forth; -- specifically designated by the part which first appears at the mouth of the uterus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act, especially the ceremonious act, of presenting a gift, prize, trophy, donation, or the like: as, the presentation of a medal to a fireman; the presentation of a stand of colors to a regiment; the presentation of an organ to a church.
- n. The act of presenting or offering as for recognition, acceptance, etc.
- n. That which is presented; a gift; an offering.
- n. A representation; exhibition; appearance; show; semblance.
- n. In ecclesiastical law, a patron's act of offering to a bishop, presbytery, or other properly constituted authority a candidate for induction into a benefice. See patronage, 3.
- n. Hence— The nomination by one ecclesiastical authority of a candidate to be appointed by another. In the Protestant Episcopal Church the right of presentation to the bishop is lodged in the vestry or other parish authorities.
- n. The right of presenting a clergyman.
- n. In obstetrics, the appearance of a particular part of the fetus at the superior pelvic strait during labor.
- n. A cognitive modification of consciousness; an idea; a representation.
- n. A figurate conception; a product of the imagination.
- n. A direct percept; a presentative cognition.
- n. The process of formation of a presentation in sense 7.
- n. Of Christ in the Temple, a festival celebrated on February 2d, in the Greek, Roman Catholic, Anglican, and some other churches, commonly called the Feast of the Purification: same as Candlemas.
- n. A direct perception of something in the future; presension.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of presenting a proposal
- n. the act of making something publicly available; presenting news or other information by broadcasting or printing it
- n. a visual representation of something
- n. (obstetrics) position of the fetus in the uterus relative to the birth canal
- n. the activity of formally presenting something (as a prize or reward)
- n. formally making a person known to another or to the public
- n. a show or display; the act of presenting something to sight or view
From Old French presentation (French présentation), from Latin praesentātiōnem, accusative singular of praesentātiō ("representation, exhibition"). (Wiktionary)