from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The first public performance, as of a movie or play.
- transitive v. To present the first public performance of.
- intransitive v. To have the first public performance.
- intransitive v. To make a first appearance in a public performance.
- adj. First or paramount; premier.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The first showing of a film, play or other form of entertainment, often held as a special event with celebrity guests.
- n. The first episode of a television show or a particular season of that show.
- n. In a series of narrative works, the installment that is chronologically set first.
- v. Of a film or play, to play for the first time.
- v. To present a film or play for the first time.
French première, from feminine of premier, first; see premier.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French première "first" (Wiktionary)