from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A token of remembrance; a memento.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An item of sentimental value, to remember an event or location.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which serves as a reminder; a remembrancer; a memento; a keepsake.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which reminds one, or revives one's recollection, of an event, a person, a place, etc.; a remembrancer; a reminder; a keepsake: as, a souvenir of Mount Vernon; a souvenir of a marriage or a visit.
- n. Synonyms Memento, etc. See memorial.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a reminder of past events
- n. something of sentimental value
The word souvenir comes from the French word (spelled the same) meaning to remember.
Monica reached out and plucked the spinning souvenir from the air, flinging it at him again.
This banner, a 1960s souvenir from a now-defunct Southern California amusement park, was pinned to a wall at an estate sale.
Nerds make the perfect souvenir from the Nerdtacular
When Hagman banged home his first goal, thousands of fans headed for the exits in souvenir teal T-shirts handed out by the Sharks before the game.
The woven "hut" behind them is actually a woven grass basket that my father-in-law brought back as a souvenir from the Caribbean, set on its side.
Otani then remembers that he bought her a souvenir from the concert, an Umibozu towel!
Who would have thought that when Vanesa asked Johnny to bring her back a souvenir from the set of Pirates of the Caribbean that he would actually bring her back scurvy.
PITTSBURGH (AP) - Evgeni Malkin skated off the ice with a nasty gash on his left cheek, a souvenir from a game that was better suited for May than for March.
(AP) - Although Landon Marleau won't remember it, his dad grabbed quite a souvenir from the kid's first hockey game.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.