American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To rule over or control arbitrarily or arrogantly; tyrannize.
- v. To exercise arbitrary or arrogant rule or control.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To rule in an overbearing or arrogant manner; have or get the upper hand.
- To give orders or directions in an arrogant, blustering manner; make an overbearing assertion of authority; play the master: often with over.
- Synonyms To tyrannize.
- To swagger, lord it.
- To govern; sway; influence.
- v. To rule over or control arbitrarily or arrogantly; to tyrannize.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To rule with insolence or arbitrary sway; to play the master; to be overbearing; to tyrannize; to bluster; to swell with conscious superiority or haughtiness; -- often with
- v. rule or exercise power over (somebody) in a cruel and autocratic manner
- From Dutch domineren, from Middle French dominer. (Wiktionary)
- Dutch domineren, from French dominer, from Latin dominārī, to dominate; see dominate. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“They have coaches who bully and domineer, who abuse them sexually and emotionally.”
“If they domineer to the point of suffocating you, stay away.”
“Those, indeed, who rule for the public good, are true examples and specimens of his beneficence, while those who domineer unjustly and tyrannically are raised up by him to punish the people for their iniquity.”
“I do not permit a woman to be a teacher, nor must woman domineer over man; she should be quiet.”
“And we will need to return to Teddy Roosevelt's trust-busting to break apart financial firms so they no longer are too big too fail, or big enough to domineer over our elected officials.”
“While the film Tetro is certainly about the naive worship a young boy can have for an older far-away sibling, its greater subject is patriarchy: men who domineer, impress and rule the family, whether by violence or prowess.”
“This is precisely the age at which males begin to domineer females of their species and challenge more established males.”
“If that is the future, if you value your brain, your intellect, your soul, you must cede the intellectual fields to the drug-fueled superhumans who will dominate and domineer over you unless you take the pills too.”
“No, you exploit me and my power as you might use a horse to draw a load; you chide and domineer as if by some heroic deed you had earned the right to command me, when in fact, you stole me in the most furtive manner from King Casmir; do you still choose to hector me?”
“The fairies also have their enchanted castles, and certain gigantic ghosts, that domineer over the regions round about them.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘domineer’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
All the words which I encounter during my GRE studies. :)
Looking for tweets for domineer.