from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make into or as if into a slave.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make subservient; to strip one of freedom; enthrall.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To reduce to slavery; to make a slave of; to subject to a dominant influence.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make a slave of; reduce to slavery or bondage; subject to the arbitrary will of a master: as, barbarous nations enslave their prisoners of war.
- Figuratively, to reduce to a condition analogous to slavery; deprive of moral liberty or power; subject to an enthralling influence: as, to be enslaved by drink or one's passions.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make a slave of; bring into servitude
I saw a parcel of people caballing together to ruin property, corrupt the laws, invade the Government, debauch the people, and in short, enslave and embroil the nation, and I cried 'Fire!' or rather I cried 'Water!' for the fire was begun already.
Government, debauch the people, and in short, enslave and embroil the nation, and I cried 'Fire!' or rather I cried 'Water!' for the fire was begun already.
Miller claims that the government uses grammar to "enslave" Americans and offers up his truly weird "Truth-language" as an antidote.
Germans bludgeon the French armies into surrender, then "enslave" much of the local population to service the German military regime.
We did not "enslave" domesticated animals- we co-evolved.
Before the "black helicopters" of the 1990s, there were right-wingers claiming access to secret documents from the 1920s proving that the entire concept of a "civil rights movement" had been hatched in the Soviet Union; when the landmark 1964 Civil Rights Act was introduced, one frequently read in the South that it would "enslave" whites.
It is one of the ways the Financial institutions maintain control and continue to 'enslave' the public.
Mugabe has since dismissed the Commonwealth as an "evil organisation", a front for British efforts to "enslave" his country, and vowed that Zimbabwe would never return.
Fighting on a forgotten slave graveyard in the middle of Louisiana swampland, Arcane's repeated claims that he's going to "enslave" the world and be its "master" wakes the spirits of the departed slaves, who exact a terrible and deserved punishment on Swampy's arch-nemesis.
Nations of seeking to "enslave" his country and pledged that
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.