from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To have an intense desire for. See Synonyms at desire.
- transitive v. To need urgently; require.
- transitive v. To beg earnestly for; implore. See Synonyms at beg.
- intransitive v. To have an eager or intense desire.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To want strongly as to satisfy an appetite. To long for, to yearn.
- v. Ask earnestly.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To desire strongly; to feel an insatiable longing.
- transitive v. To ask with earnestness or importunity; to ask with submission or humility; to beg; to entreat; to beseech; to implore.
- transitive v. To call for, as a gratification; to long for; hence, to require or demand.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To ask with earnestness or importunity; beseech; implore; ask with submission or humility, as a dependant; beg or entreat for.
- To long for or eagerly desire, as a means of gratification; require or demand, in order to satisfy appetite or passion.
- To demand a debt; dun: as, I craved him wherever I met him.
- Synonyms Ask, Request, Beg, etc. (see ask), to yearn for, desire; to pray for.
- To ask earnestly; beg; sue; plead: with for.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. plead or ask for earnestly
- v. have a craving, appetite, or great desire for
People were able to receive instant messages at times of need by texting the word "crave" or "lapse".
Talk of drawing moral battle lines rather than building bridges would suggest that subservience rather than respect, as your political masters crave, is the objective.
May I respectfully suggest, that we all STOP responding to the "Crazy Lady" (sic) wackaloon, all she crave is ATTENTION, you are feeding her only purpose in life by encouragement.
Honestly - more than any other garden produce we've ever grown, cherry tomatoes in particular are the one thing I crave from the moment the tiny fruits start appearing on the vines until well after the frost has fallen and there's no hope for any new ones for another year.
I remember that the space I crave is one of community and connection, not competition.
Touted as “indulgent comfort sweets” these divine pieces of chocolaty, gooey, nutty goodness are individually wrapped in crave-size portions.
I've been trying for 8 years ... so the _only_ way for me to get what I crave is to make it at home.
I am showing them that the thing they crave is locked up inside the covers of books.
The only way unaccomplished inadequates like Brown and Blair can get their hands on the riches, power and status they crave is through control and manipulation of us, the great unwashed of England - while they asset strip our country and sell it to the highest bidder.
The music of evening news that we crave is not the notes on the page, but the notes left off.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.