American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A strong persistent yearning or desire, especially one that cannot be fulfilled.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An eager desire; an earnest wish or craving.
- n. Specifically, in pathology, one of the peculiar and often whimsical desires experienced by pregnant women. Synonyms Hankering, yearning, aspiration.
- v. present participle of long.
- n. An earnest and deep, not greatly passionate, but rather melancholic desire.
- n. The buying of a financial instrument with the expectation that its value will rise
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An eager desire; a craving; a morbid appetite; an earnest wish; an aspiration.
- n. prolonged unfulfilled desire or need
“But, though progressives know that, the longing is acute and the temptation to rebind themselves to such impulses strong.”
“Among other things, this longing is the unruly, "the surging, billowing sea" (Of Human Freedom 35) and the birth place that Schelling explicitly associates with the Platonic chora, a complex association that I have discussed elsewhere ( "Tropics of Negativity").”
“If "longing" is indeed one of the catch phrases of nostalgia, I wonder if ETA Hoff. and Goethe might fit your bill, too.”
“On the other I feel nostalgic in longing ways at times.”
“If you go by the dimension beyond the body, the longing is to become boundless.”
“Even though you will want it to, there will be a certain longing after.”
“Posted at 05: 13 PM in longing, panama, personal, sociologie/anthropologie | Permalink”
“Perhaps longing is a symptom of anxiety, but I might view it the other way around: with that longing for something, something God-like, as a kind of emptiness.”
“The moment at the dawn of adolescence when hormones and daydreams swirl into a heady fog of confusion and longing is poetically evoked in Cam Archer's film Wild Tigers I Have Known," writes Stephen Holden, who then explains in the New York Times why he feels that the current version of the film "is a marked improvement over a longer one shown last year at the New Directors/New Films series.”
“Where both of them were struck in longing — he behind the great glass, she behind the gray boy.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘longing’.
My list of words.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
There's a fiction meme (mostly on Livejournal) where writers use words as a prompt for a short story snippet. I've been collecting the words that show up on these lists as prompts for creative writ...
Looking for tweets for longing.