from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An insatiable craving for alcoholic beverages.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an addiction to alcohol
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A morbid an uncontrollable craving (often periodic) for drink, esp. for alcoholic liquors; also improperly used to denote acute and chronic alcoholism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathol, an irresistible and insatiable craving for intoxicants.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an intense persistent desire to drink alcoholic beverages to excess
Greek dipsa, thirst + -mania.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Based on Ancient Greek δίψα (dipsa, "thirst") + μανία (mania). (Wiktionary)