American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Mental constitution or condition.
- n. A change in the field of consciousness.
- n. In pathology, any mental disorder; any form of insanity.
- n. psychology A severe mental disorder, sometimes with physical damage to the brain, marked by a deranged personality and a distorted view of reality.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Any vital action or activity.
- n. (Med.) A disease of the mind; especially, a functional mental disorder, that is, one unattended with evident organic changes.
- n. any severe mental disorder in which contact with reality is lost or highly distorted
- From psych- + -osis or from Ancient Greek ψύχωσις (psykhosis, "animation, principle of life"). (Wiktionary)
“I use the term "social psychosis" because a psychosis is a mental state in which a person shows a diminished or loss of a sense of reality.”
“They are too weak to admin failure psychologically, and this psychosis is the very doctrine the reichwing lives under.”
“Being engulfed in psychosis was the best intoxication I ever had.”
“The Mad, well there are bloomin loads of these, thanks to over use of amphet and cannabis mental illness and psychosis is common.”
“Funny how that psychosis is consistent – right tommie?”
“Her psychosis is in fact very similar to that of Osama.”
“For the CDC to suggest that "Mefloquine has rarely been reported to cause serious side effects, such as seizures, depression and psychosis" is absolutely incredible since the actual numbers are closer to 1 in 200.”
“Ray would later put the museum thing down to a certain nihilism instilled by all that final-year, second-term psychosis, but in truth it was merely another instance of late-night drinking spawning an idea so intoxicating that the next morning failed to sober them of it.”
“(Manic-depressive psychosis is an older term for the same kind of disorders).”
“This, however, is at odds with recent research which concludes that in a susceptible minority, cannabis use can push the brain towards long-term psychosis requiring mental health treatment.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘psychosis’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Bring forth the cathartic illumination on malignant,maniacal,medical,menage a trios and more egotists stymie
ruptured blood ve..., clot, pressure on a blo..., tumor, brain region, comprehension of ..., production of mea..., autonomic nervous..., conservation of t..., catecholamine, arousal, regulation of sleep and 564 more...
...with grateful thanks to telofy (for "cnidarian"), and to the song "Crazy ABC's" by Barenaked Ladies.
various psychological disorders, imbalances. supposed reasons for the mentally insane. crazy talk yo.
loosely connected to traits (bad)
( randomness, descriptive, psycho...
also psych- , psi- ; relating to the mind or psychology
Takes 12-15 years and $800 million to bring a drug to the market. For every 10,000 compounds that go through animal studies, 10 will go to human trials (3 phases) to get 1 to the market.
Looking for tweets for psychosis.