from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A severe mental disorder, sometimes with physical damage to the brain, marked by a deranged personality and a distorted view of reality.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any vital action or activity.
- n. A disease of the mind; especially, a functional mental disorder, that is, one unattended with evident organic changes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Mental constitution or condition.
- n. A change in the field of consciousness.
- n. In pathology, any mental disorder; any form of insanity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any severe mental disorder in which contact with reality is lost or highly distorted
From psych- + -osis or from Ancient Greek ψύχωσις (psykhosis, "animation, principle of life"). (Wiktionary)