American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An excessively intense enthusiasm, interest, or desire; a craze: a mania for neatness.
- n. Psychiatry A manifestation of bipolar disorder, characterized by profuse and rapidly changing ideas, exaggerated sexuality, gaiety, or irritability, and decreased sleep.
- n. Violent abnormal behavior. See Synonyms at insanity.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any form or phase of insanity with exaltation of spirits and rapidity of mental action; specifically, a psychoneurosis with these as the fundamental features. In a mania in this strict sense there may be delusions, but they fail of the systematized character of those of paranœa. Delusions and hallucinations may also be present. The attack may last for days, or months, or years. The prognosis is not very unfavorable. The cases issue in recovery, in death by exhaustion and intercurrent disease, and a considerable proportion in permanent imbecility.
- n. An eager, uncontrolled, or uncontrollable desire: as, a mania for drink; in colloquial use, a “rage” or craze for something: as, a mania for first editions.
- n. Violent derangement of mind; madness; insanity.
- n. Excessive or unreasonable desire; insane passion affecting one or many people; fanaticism.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Violent derangement of mind; madness; insanity. Cf. delirium.
- n. Excessive or unreasonable desire; insane passion affecting one or many people.
- n. a mood disorder; an affective disorder in which the victim tends to respond excessively and sometimes violently
- n. an irrational but irresistible motive for a belief or action
- From Latin mania, from Ancient Greek μανία (mania, "madness"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, madness, from Late Latin, from Greek maniā; see men-1 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“List mania is at its highest before holiday seasons: summer and winter.”
“Lots of "Avatar" mania is incoming starting tomorrow, so lock your browsers on MTV. com if you want to keep up with the latest.”
“While no doubt the abrupt fall has caught some traders with big losses, the bigger danger is a long-term mania that leads to a far bigger misallocation of capital.”
“Cat mania is also becoming a business for some people, as Yoshimura-san explains.”
“OK, hopefully the thought has crossed more than my mind that this whole Obama-mania is in a word, Messianic.”
“You made your fan film during the height of Matrix-mania; is that what inspired you to make the film?”
“Obama" mania is getting attention is because he's an educated black man with the Democratic nomination for President of the United States of America.”
“Twilight mania is encompassing all aspects of our entertainment culture.”
“But I also think that this off-shore drilling mania is a political propaganda adopted by McCain.”
“Fueled by the untimely death of and reported brilliant performance by Heath Ledger, Bat-mania is at fever pitch.”
Ledger Propels Dark Knight Sellouts : SF Universe - SF Universe is your Science Fiction central. From SciFi television to movies to books and more. All the latest news, reviews and insights from SciFi experts.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘mania’.
ruptured blood ve..., clot, pressure on a blo..., tumor, brain region, comprehension of ..., production of mea..., autonomic nervous..., conservation of t..., catecholamine, arousal, regulation of sleep and 564 more...
various psychological disorders, imbalances. supposed reasons for the mentally insane. crazy talk yo.
loosely connected to traits (bad)
( randomness, descriptive, psycho...
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
A selection of English* words ending with a vowel (except "y", "ea", ie", "ee", "oo", "ea", "ou") that is REALLY pronounced.
My favorite English words, by the way.
The good twin of The ...
My Favourite Kind
words that describe me or that i am focusing on.
( personal list )
It's the way the letters combine to form an beautiful whole and the way its sound tickles the ear.
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
Looking for tweets for mania.