from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A phenomenon that becomes popular for a very short time.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hobby ; freak; whim.
- n. a practise followed enthusiastically by a number of people for a limited period of time.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A trivial fancy adopted and pursued for a time with irrational zeal; a matter of no importance, or an important matter imperfectly understood, taken up, and urged with more zeal than sense; a whim; a crotchet; a temporary hobby.
- n. A person of whims; one who is difficult to please.
- To be busy with trifles.
- n. A bundle of straw.
- n. A colored ball.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an interest followed with exaggerated zeal
Possibly from fidfad, fussy person, fussy, from fiddle-faddle.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)