from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.
- n. Any of several small falcons of the genus Falco, formerly used for catching small birds or game.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An activity that one enjoys doing in one's spare time.
- n. An extinct breed of horse native to the British Isles, also known as the Irish Hobby
- n. Any of four species of small falcons in the genus Falco, especially Falco subbuteo.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small, strong-winged European falcon (Falco subbuteo), formerly trained for hawking.
- n. A strong, active horse, of a middle size, said to have been originally from Ireland; an ambling nag.
- n. A stick, often with the head or figure of a horse, on which boys make believe to ride.
- n. A subject or plan upon which one is constantly setting off; a favorite and ever-recurring theme of discourse, thought, or effort; that which occupies one's attention unduly, or to the weariness of others; a ruling passion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A strong active horse of medium size having an ambling gait; a pacing horse; a nag; a garran.
- n. Same as hobby-horse, 3.
- n. Any favorite object, pursuit, or topic; that which a person persistently pursues or dwells upon with zeal or delight, as if riding a horse.
- n. A small European falcon of the genus Falco and subgenus Hypotriorchis, H subbuteo.
- n. A goose.
- n. A stupid fellow.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an auxiliary activity
- n. small Old World falcon formerly trained and flown at small birds
- n. a child's plaything consisting of an imitation horse mounted on rockers; the child straddles it and pretends to ride
My main hobby is wagering on sports and I am okay at it and I do consider myself a sports bettor.
His main hobby is planting trees in his garden and then watching them grow, imagining what people will think of them in 100 years.
I am starting to cringe every time I hear the phrase "hobby farm."
His main hobby is seducing regular (read: non-porn star) women.
Currently my main hobby is my 12-week-old baby girl … apart fromsleep deprivationit puts me in perspective in general and forces me to ask time and again – ‘why would anyone give a damn about this???’
I can't say hobby - nothing I do gets done at a level that the term hobby seems to fit!
However, I can't imagine anyone actually using the term hobby career to apply to their own choice for themselves.
He takes an active part in the business community, being a Director of 8 Companies, and as a hobby is a Naturalist and Author of several works in that field.
Another one of her business, which she calls a hobby, is teaching girls to play volleyball.
Sewing, long denigrated by society as a "hobby", is actually quite fascinating, like a wearable puzzle: there are so many kinds of seams, so many intricate and complex ways of putting things together and turning them inside-out, that it is mind-twisting sometimes to understand what the result will be.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.