from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Something, such as an adage or maxim, that is said.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of say.
- n. A proverb or maxim; something often said.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which is said; a declaration; a statement, especially a proverbial one; an aphorism; a proverb.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which is said; an expression; a statement; a declaration.
- n. A proverbial expression; a maxim; an adage.
- n. Synonyms Axiom, Maxim, etc. See aphorism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a word or phrase that particular people use in particular situations
say + -ing (Wiktionary)