American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A word or gesture of welcome or salutation.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Salutation at meeting or in opening communication by letter or message; formal address; a form used in accosting or addressing.
- n. Weeping; crying.
- n. A conventional phrase used to start a letter or conversation or otherwise to acknowledge a person's arrival or presence.
- v. present participle of greet.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Expression of kindness or joy; salutation at meeting; a compliment from one absent.
- n. (usually plural) an acknowledgment or expression of good will (especially on meeting)
“Because Jews and the world are being judged by God for the coming year, a longer greeting translates as "may you be written and sealed for a good year" ketiva ve-chatima tovah.”
“Yet when I meet that old gentleman, irrespective of conditions, his greeting is always the same.”
“The Vulcan greeting is based upon a blessing gesture used by the kohanim (koe-hah-NEEM) during the worship service.”
“Just go real fast and start jumping, Real High to avoid getting an unwelcome greeting from the resting gators.”
“Just picturing Palin greeting foreign heads of state, their names phonetically spelled out in the palm of her hand …”
“I may greet them with the traditional greeting of "Assalam alaykum," but most times the greeting is not returned because I do not wear a hijab.”
“I was wondering how long it'd be before they started putting video in greeting cards, but didn't expect it in magazines first.”
“While new terminology for all may at first seem awkward - mostly in greeting card shops - the third step dovetails with the court's important responsibility to reaffirm the unfettered freedom of all faiths to extend the nomenclature of marriage as their traditions allow.”
“When they leave, Kelly makes a crack about the family of the dead kid getting a special greeting from the mayor and she heads to get a drink.”
“The plan was to spend the summer finding housing and making arrangements and then leave in September, following the route of the original Oregon Trail in a train of rented campers and U-Hauls, recording, blogging, tweeting and podcasting the hell out of the whole ordeal (Silicon Florist coverage 1, 2 and 3) — culminating with a parade down mainstreet in Portland and a greeting from the mayor.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘greeting’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for greeting.