American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The part of day from noon until sunset.
- n. The latter part: in the afternoon of life.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That part of the day which extends from noon to evening.
- Pertaining to the after part ofthe day: as, afternoon shadows.
- n. The part of the day which follows noon, between noon and evening; the part of the day following noon which is daylight all year round; the second half of the working day (in regular office hours).
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The part of the day which follows noon, between noon and evening.
- n. the part of the day between noon and evening
- n. a conventional expression of greeting or farewell
“** Flood Warning in effect in Monroe County for the Black and Oatka Creek until further noticie, and the Tonawanda Creek in Genesee County, until further notice**** Flood Watch in effect for all of WNY Tuesday afternoon Through Wednesday afternoon**”
“What they are faced with this afternoon is the ultimate interiors challenge: does that really go there next to this?”
“But in the courtyard here this afternoon is a scene of unusual glamour: an impromptu photo shoot is taking place on a flight of stairs?”
“The reverse drive in the afternoon is also peaceful.”
“Morning sun with shade in the afternoon is the most ideal for plants.”
“The rest of the afternoon is a sort of blur of heat and sweat and bright.”
“What we have this afternoon is a battle between Senator Cornyn and Senator Kennedy.”
“HOWEVER … the story this afternoon is about a reporter for KABC who was assaulted this morning while trying to interview the Principal among others at the school.”
“He suggests that a slice with a glass of wine in the afternoon is the way to go, and I am inclined to agree, now that I have ahem, calmed down.”
“In summer Florida gets what I call the afternoon electric show.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘afternoon’.
Inspired by PossibleUnderscore's list of words overused in modern pop music.
Words that make me feel cozy
Originally this list was to contain multisyllabic words that end in "oon," but as you can see from the comments, all hell broke loose.
Words I Like
Very basic words for ESL students.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
There's a fiction meme (mostly on Livejournal) where writers use words as a prompt for a short story snippet. I've been collecting the words that show up on these lists as prompts for creative writ...
a list of words to play Tzara's hat and make poetry
words from one of my favorite books, acts of levitation, by laynie browne
Looking for tweets for afternoon.