from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The part of day from noon until sunset.
- n. The latter part: in the afternoon of life.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The part of the day which follows noon, between noon and evening; the part of the day following noon which is daylight all year round; the second half of the working day (in regular office hours).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The part of the day which follows noon, between noon and evening.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That part of the day which extends from noon to evening.
- Pertaining to the after part ofthe day: as, afternoon shadows.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the part of the day between noon and evening
- n. a conventional expression of greeting or farewell
Sorry, no etymologies found.
** Flood Warning in effect in Monroe County for the Black and Oatka Creek until further noticie, and the Tonawanda Creek in Genesee County, until further notice**** Flood Watch in effect for all of WNY Tuesday afternoon Through Wednesday afternoon**
What they are faced with this afternoon is the ultimate interiors challenge: does that really go there next to this?
But in the courtyard here this afternoon is a scene of unusual glamour: an impromptu photo shoot is taking place on a flight of stairs?
The reverse drive in the afternoon is also peaceful.
Morning sun with shade in the afternoon is the most ideal for plants.
The rest of the afternoon is a sort of blur of heat and sweat and bright.
What we have this afternoon is a battle between Senator Cornyn and Senator Kennedy.
HOWEVER … the story this afternoon is about a reporter for KABC who was assaulted this morning while trying to interview the Principal among others at the school.
He suggests that a slice with a glass of wine in the afternoon is the way to go, and I am inclined to agree, now that I have ahem, calmed down.
In summer Florida gets what I call the afternoon electric show.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.