from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several fish-eating, diving birds of the genus Gavia of northern regions, having a short tail, webbed feet, and a laughlike cry.
- n. Informal One who is crazy or deranged.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. idler, lout
- n. boy, lad
- n. harlot; mistress
- n. simpleton; (also (slang)) crazy or deranged person.
- n. English Soldier of an expeditionary army in Ireland.
- n. Any of various birds, of the order Gaviiformes, of North America and Europe that dive for fish and have a short tail, webbed feet and a yodeling cry.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sorry fellow; a worthless person; a rogue.
- n. Any one of several aquatic, wed-footed, northern birds of the genus Urinator (formerly Colymbus), noted for their expertness in diving and swimming under water. The common loon, or great northern diver (Urinator imber, or Colymbus torquatus), and the red-throated loon or diver (Urinator septentrionalis), are the best known species. See diver.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A stupid fellow; a clown: with various shades of intensity as an opprobrious epithet, like fool, dolt, etc.
- n. A four-toed diving bird of the genus Colymbus or Urinator. See Colymbidæ.
- n. A name used locally for several very different birds: in England, for some of the grebes, including the large Podiceps cristatus and the little dabchick, P. minor; by sailors often in the form loom, for the murre, Lomvia arra.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a worthless lazy fellow
- n. large somewhat primitive fish-eating diving bird of the northern hemisphere having webbed feet placed far back; related to the grebes
- n. a person with confused ideas; incapable of serious thought
A sad day for conservatives when this loon is the most influential, anyone who thinks this guy has credability I have no respect for and pity them.
The word "loon" is supposed to refer to its incapacity, and is from the same root as "lame."
To be compared to a surgery-addicted, alleged kiddy-fiddling loon is not funny, it is highly offensive .
So Alan Keyes, while still a loon, is now saner than many prominent Republicans.
Ca Native the only loon is you, since you give no specifics, is it looney to follow the US CONSITUTION, try reading the book and stop watching tv, you sound like a brainwashed msm drone.
The loon is a proud symbol of our great land, much like that other mighty, noble creature, the beaver.
What makes HeiGou a genocidal loon is that he thinks it would have been better to kill millions of additional people.
I believe the real loon is Chavez but I cannot support what Robertson said.
Cyndi Lauper is frequently described as a loon, and baseball great Darryl Strawberry quit (iced with classic Trump degradation for quitters, of course) in the third week.
And, yes, as you point out, you can’t make out what the rapid loon is saying to the congressman.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.