American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A narrow band or braid used as trimming and commonly made of lace, metallic thread, or embroidery.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. 1. Originally, worsted lace, especially a closely woven lace like a narrow ribbon or tape for binding.
- n. In modern use:
- n. A fabric similar to the above, of wool, silk, tinsel, cotton, or a combination of any of these, A kind of gold or silver lace with a continuous even edge on each side, used on uniforms, liveries, etc.
- n. obsolete A braided trimming with bullion thread, used on men's coats in the eighteenth century, on women's apparel in the nineteenth, and on such furnishings as draperies or cushions.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A narrow tapelike fabric used for binding hats, shoes, etc., -- sometimes made ornamental.
- n. A similar bordering or binding of rich material, such as gold lace.
- From French galonner ('to braid'). (Wiktionary)
- French galon, from Old French galonner, to decorate the hair with ribbons. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Scalloped eyelet, called galloon embroidery, had decorative edging on both sides of the fabric, great for a fuller skirt.”
“Gas is already $3+/galloon and we all know its not going to stop here.”
“Contrasts and dualism that is the heart of Copenhagen Kasbah were also seen in the silk baggy pants with tie shut legs and pants with galloon stripes and fabric covered buttons. www.”
“AAA reporting the national average for unleaded regular is now $2.52 a galloon.”
“AAA now reporting the national average price for a galloon of regular unleaded gas is up over $2.63 a gallon.”
“ROBERTS: You know, when gas is down around $1.65, $1.70 a galloon, it is easier to get back in the car and put your foot in the accelerator.”
“Still higher: AAA reporting the national average price for unleaded regular gasoline now $2.69 a galloon.”
“Yesterday I paid $3.05 per galloon for regular at Costco -- at the name brand stations, it's up to $3.15.”
“We're talking about $3.29 for a galloon of gasoline and how that may go up 75 cents.”
“AAA says the national average for a galloon of regular is down to $2.22.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘galloon’.
words pertaining to the root spe- (hope) with some allegorical liberties.
originally started as an attempt to collect words I found visually and auditorially beautiful, as well as psychically evocative, this has become nothing more than a grab bag of word curiosities, a ...
Woven, knit and tatted fabrics. Other kinds of cloth, such as tapa and chamois are not included.
great words come across doing freelance fact-checking and copyediting work.
Looking for tweets for galloon.