from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A yellowish crystalline iodine compound, CHI3, used as an antiseptic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A halogenated hydrocarbon, CHI3; a yellow crystalline compound, formerly used as a mild antiseptic
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A yellow, crystalline, volatile substance, CI3H, having an offensive odor and sweetish taste, and analogous to chloroform. It is used in medicine as a healing and antiseptic dressing for wounds and sores.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A solid compound (CHI3) analogous to chloroform, produced by the action of iodine with alkalis or alkali carbonates on alcohol.
- To apply iodoform to; impregnate with iodoform.
- n. This substance, much used in surgery, is now prepared electrolytically from a mixed solution of alcohol with an alkaline carbonate and iodide.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a yellowish crystalline solid with a penetrating odor; sometimes used as an antiseptic dressing
- n. sweet smelling yellow solid haloform CHI3
iodo- + form(yl).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
iodo- + -form (Wiktionary)