from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or producing antisepsis.
- adj. Capable of preventing infection by inhibiting the growth of microorganisms.
- adj. Thoroughly clean; aseptic. See Synonyms at clean.
- adj. Of or associated with the use of antiseptics.
- adj. Devoid of enlivening or enriching qualities: "This is . . . not at all lighthearted or amiable music. In fact, the tone is unremittingly sober and antiseptic” ( Donal Henahan).
- adj. Free of disturbing or unpleasant features; sanitized: an antiseptic version of history.
- n. A substance that inhibits the growth and reproduction of disease-causing microorganisms.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, or relating to antisepsis, or the use of antiseptics.
- adj. Capable of preventing microbial infection.
- adj. Very clean; aseptic.
- adj. Free of unpleasantness; sanitized or bowdlerized.
- n. Any substance that inhibits the growth and reproduction of microorganisms. Generally includes only those that are used on living objects (as opposed to disinfectants) and aren't transported by the lymphatic system to destroy bacteria in the body (as opposed to antibiotics).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Counteracting or preventing putrefaction, or a putrescent tendency in the system; antiputrefactive.
- n. a substance which kills or retards the growth of microorganisms, especially when used for protection against infection; a substance which prevents or retards putrefaction, or destroys, or protects from, putrefactive organisms; as, carbolic acid, alcohol, cinchona, and many other agents sold commercially.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to antisepsis; inimical to the growth and activity of the micro-organisms of disease, putrefaction, or fermentation.
- n. Anything which destroys the microorganisms of disease, putrefaction, or fermentation, or which restricts their growth and multiplication.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. thoroughly clean and free of or destructive to disease-causing organisms
- adj. devoid of objectionable language
- adj. freeing from error or corruption
- adj. clean and honest
- n. a substance that destroys micro-organisms that carry disease without harming body tissues
anti- + septic (Wiktionary)