from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to health or the protection of health.
- adj. Free from elements, such as filth or pathogens, that endanger health; hygienic: sanitary conditions for the preparation of food.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, or relating to health
- adj. clean and free from pathogens; hygienic
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to health; designed to secure or preserve health; relating to the preservation or restoration of health; hygienic. See the Note under sanatory.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to health or hygiene or the preservation of health; hygienic; healthy.
- Synonyms Sanitary, Sanatory. These two words are often confounded. Sanitary means “pertaining to health, hygienic”: as, sanitary science; sanitary conditions (which may be good or bad). Sanatory means “serving to heal, therapeutic”: as, sanatory medicines or agencies.
- n. A public water-closet, urinal, and lavatory.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. free from filth and pathogens
French sanitaire, from Latin sānitās, health; see sanity.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)