from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to health or the protection of health.
- adj. Free from elements, such as filth or pathogens, that endanger health; hygienic: sanitary conditions for the preparation of food.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, or relating to health
- adj. clean and free from pathogens; hygienic
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to health; designed to secure or preserve health; relating to the preservation or restoration of health; hygienic. See the Note under sanatory.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to health or hygiene or the preservation of health; hygienic; healthy.
- Synonyms Sanitary, Sanatory. These two words are often confounded. Sanitary means “pertaining to health, hygienic”: as, sanitary science; sanitary conditions (which may be good or bad). Sanatory means “serving to heal, therapeutic”: as, sanatory medicines or agencies.
- n. A public water-closet, urinal, and lavatory.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. free from filth and pathogens
Just so you know, "sanitary" is code for "no men have touched these and we really don't want men to touch our products, ever."
People bring up the issue of "how sanitary is that?"
So UNDP is engaged in sanitary provisions, is engaged in building classrooms, dormitories.
The secretary hired twelve cleaning women to maintain sanitary conditions.
Comments you're my hero: sanitary is now what i will aim for! clean and neat didn't quite work, so i'll try sanitary now. i'm so the same when it comes to worrying that i might have possibly offended even a stranger!
We put in sanitary conditions - they hadn't them - we clothed them, got new beds.
Again, women, and the best women, are wofully deficient in sanitary knowledge; although it is to women that we must look, first and last, for its application, as far as household hygiene is concerned.
Producer LGI called the sanitary conditions for grapes 'perfect', and described the red wines as showing 'silky tannins and good colour'.
It’s much easier to guarantee the right to vote than it is to guarantee the right to live in sanitary, decent housing – conditions.
America, still trying to shrug off England, lagged far behind in what would become known as the sanitary arts.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.