from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to veterinary medicine; concerned or connected with the medical or surgical treatment of animals, especially domestic animals.
- n. A veterinarian.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or relating to the medical or surgical treatment of animals, especially domestic and farm animals
- n. A veterinary surgeon, a veterinarian
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the art of healing or treating the diseases of domestic animals, as oxen, horses, sheep, various pets, etc..
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to domestic animals; specifically, pertaining to the surgical or medical treatment of domestic animals, especially of horses and cattle: as, a veterinary surgeon; veterinary medicine; a veterinary college or school.
- n. pl. veterinaries (-riz). A veterinarian.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a doctor who practices veterinary medicine
- adj. of or relating to veterinarians or veterinary medicine
Latin veterīnārius, from veterīnae, beasts of burden, from feminine pl. of veterīnus, of beasts of burden; see wet-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Back-formation from veterinarian. (Wiktionary)