from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A patient who is outside a hospital, but receives medical aid from it.
- n. A medical patient who receives treatment at a hospital, especially in an emergency room, but is not admitted to stay overnight. Distinguished from
inpatient, who is assigned to a room to reside there while being treated.
- n. one who receives advice and medicine, or treatment, from an infirmary.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A patient not residing in a hospital, but receiving medical advice, etc., from the institution.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a patient who does not reside in the hospital where he is being treated
Sorry, no etymologies found.